Dogs Eating Marijuana

A report in Denver, CO that more and more Veterinarians are getting cases of a number of dogs who have eaten edible marijuana and is finding that the diagnosis isn’t good.  VCA Alameda East Veterinary Hospital in Denver is reporting hundreds of cases of canines coming in with digestive problems after eating edible Marijuana.  The vet is reporting dogs have no control over themselves after eating a quantity of marijuana.  The primary problem vets are seeing in dogs, who have eaten marijuana, is urinary incontinence.  There is no antidote for marijuana ingestion by dogs.  In some cases, if owners wait too long, the dog will not survive.  Vets throughout Colorado are pleading with dog owners to keep their bags of marijuana out of reach of their canine companions.  Thus far, that plea appears to be falling on deaf ears.

As we all know, "medical marijuana" is now legal in the state of Colorado (as of January 1, 2014).  Now, it is one thing to have about half the population in Colorado high as a kite.  But, having their dogs high as hell is another.  How are dogs going to do their jobs if they are high?  Will they even chase cats?  Bark and wake you up at 3AM?  In all seriousness, this borders on animal cruelty in my eyes.  If you are going to smoke the crap, then do it.  But, don't endanger an innocent dog by leaving the bags of marijuana laying around on the couch or coffee table.  Dogs will eat anything that remotely looks and smells like food.  Every dog owner knows this.  So, it seems common sense that you don't leave your marijuana laying on the floor for Fido to consume.  If you come back out of the bathroom to find Fido with his eyes crossed, suffering with a bad case of the munchies, you have no one to blame but yourself.  Keep the marijuana out of reach, people.  It could kill your best friend.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...