A New Zealand woman, 30-year-old Natasha Harris, has reportedly died due to an "overdose" of Coca-Cola. It was said Harris drank over two gallons of cola a day. A coroner said that the 2010 death of Mrs. Harris was due to "... metabolic imbalances which gave rise to arrhythmia”. Prior to her death, Mrs. Harris would reportedly have "withdrawal symptoms" if she gave out of Coca-Cola. She would get edgy, irritable, and develop the shakes that a drug addict will display. For its part, the Coca-Cola Corporation spokesman stated, "...We are disappointed that the coroner has chosen to focus on the combination of Ms. Harris’ excessive consumption of Coca-Cola, together with other health and lifestyle factors, as the probable cause of her death." The coroner stated that Coca-Cola might want to include warning labels on its product stating too much could lead to death.
I was a Coca-Cola addict myself for much of my life, although certainly not to the extent of this unfortunate woman, Natasha Harris. But, three years ago, I decided it was doing nothing for me. I found myself craving the next drink of coke. I have not had any soft drink in over three years now. I have no cravings for coke or any soft drink. I much, much prefer water, cold water. Once you give up soft drinks, you'll wonder why you ever drank the stuff. I drink unsweetened tea and maybe a fruit drink. But, no Coca-Cola, Pepsi, 7-UP or any other popular soft drink. I can almost understand how Mrs. Harris became addicted to coke. But, she went too far in drinking the popular American soft drink. I do know there are people who are addicted to diet coke. I will never understand that due to the aftertaste. But, as with Mrs. Harris, one can go too far with practically anything. I simply can't imagine drinking over two gallons of water a day, much less two gallons of Coca-Cola each day.